W. Christopher Lang
- Department of Mathematics
- School of Natural Sciences
- Indiana University Southeast
- 4201 Grant Line Road
- New Albany, Indiana 47150
- Teaching Postdoctoral Fellow, University of British Columbia, 1986-1987
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Mississippi State University, 1987-1994
- Assistant Professor of Mathematics, Indiana University Southeast, 1994-1998
- Associate Professor of Mathematics, Indiana University Southeast, 1998-2006
- Professor of Mathematics, Indiana University Southeast, since 2006
- College algebra
- Brief survey of calculus
- Finite mathematics
- Linear algebra
- Differential equations
- Probability theory
- Statistics (calculus-based)
- Matrix algebra
- History of mathematics
- Introduction to mathematical reasoning
- Introduction to analysis
- Introduction to number theory
- Fourier analysis and signal analysis; abstract harmonic analysis
- Biostatistics and bioinformatics
- Mathematics education
RESEARCH PUBLICATIONS (peer reviewed)
- The structure of hypergroup measure algebras, J. Austral. Math. Soc. (Series A) 46 (1989), 319-342.
- A hypergroup measure algebra that admits no analogue of the structure theorem of J. L. Taylor, Proceedings of the SLU-GTE Conference on Commutative Harmonic Analysis, July 27-29, 1987, Contemporary Mathematics 91 (1989), 151-156.
- A growth condition for Fourier coefficients of functions of bounded entropy norm, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 112 (1991), 433-439.
- On the entropy norm spaces and the Hardy space ReH1, Proc. Amer. Math. Soc. 118 (1991), 861-863.
- Entropy norms of lacunary and random Fourier series, Houston J. Math. 19 (1993), 1-15.
- Orthonormal wavelets on the Cantor dyadic group, Society of Industrial and Applied Mathematics Journal on Mathematical Analysis, 27 (1996), 1-6.
- Forinash K, Lang WC. Frequency analysis of discrete breather modes using a continuous wavelet transform. Physica D 123 (1998), 437-447.
- Wavelet analysis on the Cantor dyadic group, Houston J. Math. 24 (1998) 533-544.
- Fractal multiwavelets related to the Cantor dyadic group, Internat. J. Math. & Math. Sci. 21 (1998), 307-314.
- Refinement equations and generalized multiresolution analyses for hypergroups, Banach Algebras and Their Applications, Contemporary Mathematics 363 (2004), 193-200.
- Refinement equations for generalized translations, Internat. J. Math. & Math. Sci., 64 (2004), 3435-3444.
- Lang WC, Buist NRM, Geary A, Buckley S, Adams E, Jones AC, Gorsek S, Winter SC, Tran H, Rogers BR. Quantification of Intraoral Pressures During Nutritive Sucking: Methods with Normal Infants. Dysphagia, 2010.
EXPOSITORY AND PEDAGOGICAL PUBLICATIONS (peer reviewed)
- Comment to FFF#88 in the column Fallacies, Flaws and Flimflam, edited by Ed Barbeau, College Mathematics Journal 28 (1997). (Original manuscript titled "An irrational number left out of a proof that one equals zero".)
- Time-frequency analysis with the continuous wavelet transform, with K. Forinash, American J. Physics 66 (1998), 794-798.
- Forinash K, Rumsey W, Lang WC: Galileo's Mathematical Language of Nature, Science and Education 9 (2000), 449-456.
- Maki D, Winston W, Shafii-Mousavi M, Kochanowski P, Lang WC, Ernstberger K, Hodgson T. On the use of client-driven projects in the mathematics classroom, PRIMUS, 16 (2006), 300-313.
- Entropy-normed spaces of continuous periodic functions, invited talk given at the analysis seminar at the Department of Pure Mathematics, University of Waterloo, November 15, 1990.
- Entropy norms of lacunary Fourier series, invited 20 minute talk given at the Amer. Math. Math. Soc. Special Session on Fourier Analysis, Portland, Oregon, June 14, 1991.
- On the entropy norm spaces and the Hardy space Re H1, invited 20 minute talk given at the Amer. Math. Soc. Special Session on Harmonic Analysis Southwest Missouri State University, March 21, 1992.
- A project-driven mathematics and business course, with K. Ernstberger; contributed talk at the 81st Annual Meeting of the Math. Assoc. of Amer., Baltimore, Maryland, January 9, 1998.
- The Fourier series of the secant function, MAA Pacific Northwest Section Meeting, Portland State University, June 22, 2002.B
- The implementation of a campus-wide academic assessment program at Indiana University Southeast, 2002 Assessment Institute, Indianapolis, November 5, 2002.
- Refinement equations for generalized translations and hypergroups, Banach Algebras and their Applications: Banach Algebras 2003, Edmonton, Alberta, July 31, 2003.
- Forinash K, Wisman R, Lang WC, Couzin N. Free and easy sound analysis, invited talk, AAPT summer meeting, Sacramento 2004.
- Valeryn R, Evered J, Lang WC, Adams E, Jones AJ, Geary A, Gorsek S, Rogers BR, Buckley S, Buist NRM. Quantitation of intraoral pressures during nutritive sucking in preterm infants with feeding problems, Seventeenth Annual Dysphagia Research Society Meeting in New Orleans, Louisiana, March 5-7, 2009 (peer-reviewed).
- Sherman A, Lang WC, Lewis H, Rogers B, McEvoy C, Orozcoo V, Buist N. Quantification of Sucking Be- havior in Late Preterm [LPT], and Full Term Infants at 38Ð40 Weeks of Corrected Age, Poster Session, Pediatric Academies Societies Annual Meeting, May 6, 2013.
- Summer Faculty Fellowship and Student Assistant Grant, Indiana University Southeast, Applications of wavelet analysis on the Cantor dyadic group, 1996.
- Summer support for the course development project Applied mathematics in business: an interdisciplinary approach; funded by the Indiana University/National Science Foundation project Mathematics Through the Curriculum; 1997, 1999.
- Summer Faculty Fellowship, Indiana University Southeast, Applications of wavelet and Fourier analysis in multimedia, 2001
- Faculty Senate, 1995-1997, 2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007, 2007-2008
- Faculty Senate Leadership Council, 2007-2008
- Student Retention and Recruitment Committee, 1995-1996, 1996-1997, 2001-2002
- Natural Sciences Division Review Committee, 1996-1997
- Arts and Sciences Coordinating Committee, 1996-1998, 2005-2007 (chair).
- Institute for Learning and Teaching Excellence Advisory Board, 1997-1998; 1998-1999 (chair); 2009-2011
- Council of Equity and Diversity, 1998-2000
- Faculty Salary Equity Review, 1998-1999
- Faculty Board of Review, 1998-1999, 2003-2004
- General Studies Committee, 1998-2000
- Ed Quinn Memorial Fund Scholarship Selection Committee, 1999, 2000, 2001
- Reviewer for American J. Physics, 1998
- Reviewer for Mathematical Reviews, 1990-2006
- School Review Committee, 1999-2000, 2006-2007, 2010-2011
- Faculty Senate Committee on Integrated Technology, 1999-2001
- University Faculty Council's Technology Policy Committee (system-wide), 1999-2000
- Assessment Task Force, 2000
- General Education Faculty Working Group, 2000
- General Education Committee, 2003-2005, 2009-2011 (chair)
- Improvement of Learning Committee, 2000, 2001
- Academic Assessment Committee (chair), 2001-2002
- Academic Policies Committee, 2002, 2005-2007
- Institutional Review Board, 2005-2008
- Faculty Senate Nominating Committee, 2006-2007
- Acting Coordinator of the Upper-Level Mathematics Program, 2006
- Coordinator of the Upper-Level Mathematics Program, 2007-2014
- Search Committee for Assistant Professor of Mathematics, 2007-2008 (chair)
- Search Committee for Mathematics Lecturer, 2008-2009
- Search Committee for Visiting Assistant Professor of Mathematics, 2010 (chair)
- Search Committee for Assistant Professor of Mathematics, 2010-2011 (chair)
- Campus representative to statewide Mathematics Panel for the Core Transfer Library of courses, 2012-2014
- Campus Review Committee for Promotions, 2012-2014
- Consulting for the Orometer infant feeding monitor project, 2008-2014